Combination Metal Mechanic 3
Applies appropriate welding techniques to join, fabricate and repair metal materials and follows detailed instructions from technical documents. Under very limited supervision, the candidate shall demonstrate a comprehensive understanding and application of appropriate welding techniques to join, fabricate and repair metal materials and follows detailed instructions from technical documents and perform tasks specifically related to welding on vessels or facilities.
• Interprets blueprints, specifications, diagrams or schematics to determine appropriate welding process and ensures that redline markups of Installation Control Drawings (ICDs) or Ships Installation are maintained and provided to the Program/ Project Managers.
• Determines appropriate welding techniques required and whether a hand-held or machine welding and flame-cutting equipment to fabricate, join, and repair metals and other weldable material components or to fill holes, indentations, or seams of fabricated metal products should be used.
• Performs welding in all positions, with all types of metals and alloys in various shapes including pipes, structural forms, plates, sheet metal, bar stock, machinery and equipment followed by inspection of completed weld(s) to determine structural soundness.
• Monitors availability of material, equipment, and tools to ensure that the proper resources are available as needed. Schedules and arranges delivery for material and equipment for prefabrication and subsequent delivery to the installation site.
• Coordinates with the Quality Assurance Department for process and product inspections following required periodicity schedules and training of personnel.
• Provide daily status reporting detailing project status and scheduling updates to next level management.
• Ensures that the workspaces are properly maintained and that routine clean-up is accomplished.
• Contributes to continuous process improvement efforts as they relate to current job assignment and other improvements throughout the company when identified.
• Performs additional duties and responsibilities as directed.
• Pursues professional development opportunities to increase job skills and capabilities.
RESPONSIBILITY LEVEL and DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY:
• Work is performed under consultative direction and reviewed for compliance with overall project objectives. Assignments are often self-initiated determining and pursuing courses of action necessary to obtain desired results. Responsible for making decisions and recommendations impacting the company’s ability to achieve goals critical to its objectives and possibly affecting its business reputation.
• This position provides supervision and leadership to lower level company personnel.
FUNCTIONAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE:
• Qualified for specific material and processes in accordance with American Welding Society Welding Handbook.
• Proficient at welding in all positions, with all types of metals and alloys, in various shapes including pipes, structural forms, plates, sheet metal, bar stock, machinery and equipment.
• High School diploma or GED with twelve (12) years of experience in electric arc, gas shielded arc, and gas welding techniques of which a minimum of six (6) years being actual shipboard installations.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, OR QUALIFICATIONS
- Certification or Qualifications required PRIOR to starting work:
• A GOVERNMENT CLASSIFIED INTERIM SECRET or HIGHER SECURITY CLEARANCE
• Valid U.S. Driver License
• Current U. S. Passport
• Firewatch Qualified
• Man aloft certification.
• Shipyard Safety Orientation Qualified
• Cableway Installation & Inspector Qualified
Certification or Qualifications in the following areas is a plus:
• Multi-Pin Copper Connector Qualified
• Fiber Optic Connector (ST, SC, FC) Qualified
• Shipyard competent person
• Tower/Man Aloft Qualified
The essential functions of this job would be performed in a dry industrial environment where temperature ranges run from near freezing to temperatures in excess of 100º. The noise level in the work environment is normally in the 65db range however; occasionally noise levels may exceed 80db where additional hearing protection is required. May be required to climb to heights in excess of 200 feet. May require a person to be able and willing to work 7 days a week in excess of 8 hours a day for weeks on end AND be able and willing to travel out of town and/or overseas for extended periods (sometimes can be in excess or up to 4 to 6 weeks at a time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
There are physical and mental requirements of the position as it is typically performed. Rarely any requirements outside the normal range of daily movement, however occasionally lifting, carrying, and team handling operation from 75% up to 100% of an objects up/down steps or slopes is required. NOTE: Inability to meet one or more of these physical or mental requirements will not automatically disqualify a candidate or employee from the position. Upon request of a reasonable accommodation, the Executive Management may be able to adjust or excuse one or more of these requirements, depending on the requirement, the essential functions to which it relates, and the proposed accommodation.